Kristin's Reviews > I Am the Chosen King

I Am the Chosen King by Helen Hollick

Oct 07, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, brit-fic, read-in-2011, reviewed
Read in October, 2011

Much like with The Forever Queen, it seemed to take me an eternity to read this. While it was interesting, I feel like I would have been better served by reading a non-fiction account instead. The characters just didn't do much for me (I much preferred Emma in the earlier book). It started with a lot of promise, showing Harold as a young man with a heart willing to stand up to his family to do the right thing, but it ended with me feeling very little for him. So I don't know. I liked it and I didn't like it.

Oh, and the WORST thing about it was the editing. There weren't really mistakes with spelling or most grammar, but the punctuation was appalling. Many marks were left out, especially quotation marks, especially opening quotation marks. Very frustrating to be reading along, have things suddenly make no sense, and then come upon a closing quotation mark and realize the sentence didn't fit because it was actually a character speaking. I noticed the same thing in The Forever Queen, though it wasn't as bad there. Why????? Why do they hate quotation marks so?
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am the Chosen King.

09/16/2011 "Quickly discovered I needed a meal-time alternative to Kathy Reichs... ick!"
show 2 hidden updates…