Matt's Reviews > The Poet

The Poet by Michael Connelly

Apr 10, 12

bookshelves: audiobook
Read from April 05 to 10, 2012

Michael Connelly can write and make the world take notice. His Bosch and Heller series are, by all accounts, some of his best work. He is also known to weave characters in from his different series and make it a real party. He did some of that here, though, truth be told; both major characters originate here and turn up with Bosch and Heller in their books later on. Some interesting work in this, a quasi-first person perspective of a journalist chasing a killer while a great many things pan out (or fail).

This is not some of Connelly’s strongest work, but it does take us away from the direct law enforcement genre of characters. That said, the crime beat reporter is put in the middle of a highly contentious investigation as his twin has been murdered. We learn a lot of interesting facts and see how things are not always as they seem, in the end of an investigation.

While I have said it before, one may be best to read Connelly in chronological order and not series by series (because of the character spill-overs) I did enjoy the book and the early years of Jake McEvoy. I am now into his latter book, THE SCARECROW, which has some promise.
Well done, Mr. Connelly. I know you seem to be sticking to your two favourite characters of late, but these oldies tell interesting stories too.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Poet.

04/05/2012 page 144