Jessica's Reviews > The Troubled Man

The Troubled Man by Henning Mankell

Aug 02, 11

bookshelves: fiction-in-translation
Read from July 28 to 31, 2011

Reading this, Henning Mankell's latest and final in the Kurt Wallander series, was like finding myself in a well-known and beloved landscape: Kurt Wallanderland. Mankell is not a great stylist but he has managed to do something remarkable in his creation of Police Detective Wallander. I love this melancholy man. Smart, humane, brooding, somehow both slow and sharp, he is an old and dear friend to me.

I think I've now read all of the Wallander novels. A few of them don't quite work (The Dogs of Riga comes to mind) but most are terrific. Like Highsmith, another writer whose prose style seems to me flat, sometimes stilted, Mankell tells a damn good story. His evocation of landscape, a sector of Swedish society, of national and international politics, of Wallander and his family, give his novels life beyond the page.

In this last novel, Wallander has taken a small home in the country and is facing his mortality in everything he does. Linda, his daughter, has married a man whose father, a military submarine man, goes missing. Wallendar's hunt for him takes him to Copenhagen, Berlin, the Swedish island archipelago. More about plot need not be said.

Wallander, already I miss you.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Troubled Man.

07/28/2011 "Happy to back in Wallender-territory again."
07/28/2011 "Happy to be back in Wallander territory again. Feels like a second home I've neglected."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Jessica (last edited Jan 27, 2012 08:24AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jessica If you're making a comment, how come you can't say something more insightful?

My dear Wallander, I spelled your name wrong... please forgive me.

message 2: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Wow.

message 3: by Sketchbook (new)

Sketchbook I think the spelling is: Wallenda. [The bar is open.]

Jessica yes, there's a point. don't know why I remembered it wrong. A shame there are no more Wallander books to read.

Shakir Shaikh Couldn't agree more with the review. After reading all Wallander's book, it feels like I have lived along with all the characters and know them personally. It's sad that there will not be any more trips to Wallanderland.

Jessica So glad you agree. These books kept me company during a difficult time in my life. And Wallender is such a great character. One wants him to live on.

Jessica these comments read very strangely btw, since the snarky poster deleted all her comments (and maybe her account?).