Sarah's Reviews > Mr. Cavendish, I Presume

Mr. Cavendish, I Presume by Julia Quinn

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: 2008, reviewed

I definitely liked this more than the previous novel in this pairing, 'The Lost Duke of Wyndham'. I found Thomas to be a much more interesting personality than Jack, (although I suspect I rather like Grace more than Amelia.) Both books flip back and forth, reusing dialogue but offering alternate perspectives.

The main problem with both books, however, is that the ending for the second book is more or less revealed once you've read the first. For example, Thomas agonizes quite a bit about potentially losing his betrothal to Amelia to Jack (being the Duke of Wyndham,) but we already know that Jack chooses Grace, and no romance novel ever leaves the reader with an unhappy ending. The conflict based tension is lost. Happily, Thomas is an interestingly angsty little soul, and I was quite distracted by him.

Also, I'm not sure how I feel about the Whistledown reference at the end of this one. On one hand, it's an established and ubiquitous part of the Quinn universe and is certainly an appropriate inclusion, but on the other hand, I rather thought it took away from the story somehow, and made the ending less satisfying.

Despite this, it's a fun little read that can be quickly devoured in a single sitting (or several commutes.)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Mr. Cavendish, I Presume.