Lisa's Reviews > Against the Tide of Years

Against the Tide of Years by S.M. Stirling

Jul 28, 11

Read in January, 2009

I enjoyed the book overall. We have moved into the ancient world that is more familiar. We are connecting with Homer's heroes before they become heros. As history changes they won't get to be heroes. We see Troy, Babylon, Assyrian and even the Hittite empire. It was interesting having all those Empires interacting at once without one dominant force. If I remember right the Hittites should have had dominance along with Egypt. Babylon and Assyria have several centuries before their dominance or even emergence as a real power. It is interesting that there is no mention of the Jewish nation at this time even though one of the characters is clearly Jewish. Depending on what time scale Stirling follows the Israelites would have either Moses or the Judges.

He definitely has a good set of villians who are very believable. He goes too far in his descriptions of a sexual nature. They are not important to the story and detract from it especially as they are disturbing in many cases. The chapter beginning time-lines were rather confusing so it was hard to lay out exactly what was happening and when. Again, overall really enjoyed. I loved getting into the ancient world and the differences of culture.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Against the Tide of Years.