Skye's Reviews > Fury

Fury by Shirley Marr

Jul 28, 2011

bookshelves: australian-authors, ya
Read from July 28 to 29, 2011

This review is also posted on my blog, In The Good Books.

Fury was a surprising, mysterious and admirably different novel.

What was surprising about Fury was how such an initially snobbish and mean character could grow on you. I didn't like Eliza at the beginning, but I began to appreciate her more as her story slowly unfolded. In the way she treated her friends, you could see her fear of being left and, eventually, deep loyalty. Her extreme personality was so apparent in her voice, and the way she admitted her flaws made her relatable.

The narration made me feel as though Eliza was retelling the events to me personally. Her distinct and loud voice made her feel like a real person, like a friend telling me what had happened. As she grew on me, I became more and more invested in her story -- and even some of the background characters' -- that I was furiously turning the pages, trying to figure out why.

The way the characters developed was amazing. That I could go from being irritated by them to feeling sympathetic and heartbroken for them really surprised me. There was depth revealed in them that wasn't immediately obvious, but made you realise you were wrong about them all along.

The plot was full of suspense, and the way Eliza revealed her story had you constantly thinking you had it figured out before being taken on a completely new path. Her retelling left the events in something like an organised mess that was almost impossible to sort out.

Overall, it was a stunningly unique and compelling debut. I look forward to reading more books in Shirley Marr's engaging style.

I give Fury a 4 out of 5.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Fury.