Minna's Reviews > Män som hatar kvinnor

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: realistic-fiction, owned
Recommended to Minna by: A friend
Read on March 01, 2010, read count: 1

The defamed journalist Mikael Blomquist is offered a job by the head of the successful business family Wanger to find out what really happened tp his niece Harriet Wanger forty years ago. Her body was never recovered, but Wander suspects that someone inside the family is responsible for her murder. After a moments doubt Blomquist accepts to work on the case in wait for his prison sentence to begin.

Lisbeth Salander works at a Security Agency and specializes in background checks. She is given the task to find out everything there is to know about Blomquist. She becomes hung up on him and when she sees that he is researching something and becomes stuck, she decides to help him.

They uncover the Wanger family's dirty secrets and find references to some ritualistic murders of women, but as they get closer to unravelling the mystery, someone gets nervous and starts to take action against them to scare them off the trail - or kill them.

[SPOILERS] Do not read if you haven't read/seen the story before.

I've seen both the movies and am now read the books and I have to say this book suffers from severe Dan Brown-syndrome. The male protagonist is middle aged but charismatic, in good shape and everyone who traditionally wears a skirt wants to jump his bones and no one seems to mind sharing him with other women. It really, really bugged me. As in the Dan Brown books, the male lead is a thinly veiled version of the author.

I find the character of Lisbeth Salander more interesting and intriguing. This is the reason I give this book three stars instead of two. She is one tough young lady who suffers through unbelievable horrors past and present and is determined not to become a victim but strike back at the men who hurt her. She has been let down by society so many times, she doesn't trust the police or anyone else to help her. I think her attitude, albeit not all of her methods should be adopted by more young girls and women. The only thing that is disappointing is that she falls for the charms of Blomquist.

[/SPOILERS]

The language of the book is quite dry and sometimes the dialogue feels wooden. This is probably because Larsson himself is a journalist who is used to writing articles about the right-wing extremist and neo-nazi movement in Sweden. I read this book in three days, I spent an entire night reading it to the last page, and I like it even though it is a bit bulky and some characters are unrealistic. It has a drive and manages to build up curiosity enough for me to see it through. If you don't have the patience with this series or simply can't stand Gary Stus, I recommend the movies. The first movie basically cover the story and the ending is less silly that the last chapters in the book.

If you have read the English translation, I'd like to hear what you thought about it. Does the woodyness shine through?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Män som hatar kvinnor.