Sandy M's Reviews > A Reputable Rake

A Reputable Rake by Diane Gaston

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: historical, harlequin
Read in June, 2009

Diane Gaston is one of those authors that when I’ve finished one of her books, I ask myself why I haven’t read more. It’s not for a lack of want. It’s the usual too-many-books-not-enough-time business that I’m sure a lot of you suffer from too. But I so enjoy Ms. Gaston’s writing and her characters, and I really liked the storyline in this book too, something I haven’t read before.

Cyprian Sloan is trying to regain his reputation. He’s been a high-caliber rake for a number of years and he’s tired of the gaming hells and everything else that goes along with being a rake. So slowly but surely he’s making inroads to being accepted by the ton once again. His father and brother have something to say about that at every turn, but Cyprian doesn’t give up. He’s run into an unexpected roadblock, however, by the name of Morgana Hart. He knows she could be his downfall into the depths of debauchery again, but for the life of him, he can’t get her off his mind, nor stay away from her.

Trying to keep one of her servants from throwing herself into the world of prostitution, Morgana decides to teach the girl how to behave as a courtesan so she can be her own woman, choose her own destiny as much as possible, though she has find a real lady of the evening to teach the fundamentals between a man and a woman. Before she knows it, though, three more girls from a local brothel show up at her home wanting to be part of Morgana’s “school.” And she thought she’d seen the last of the man who’d helped her free her maid from the clutches of a man determined to kidnap her for a local madam, but suddenly he’s bought the house next door and is embroiled in her scheme just as surely as she is.

This is actually a fun book to read. The now-and-then banter between Sloan and Morgana is done very well, showing Morgana’s independence and intelligence at the same time. They have their different views on what she’s doing with these young ladies and that makes for a lot of fun too, especially a night at Vauxhall Gardens. There is mystery and suspense to be had also, danger getting too close a time or two. I enjoyed all the characters, including the three girls who wish to become courtesans and I liked how each of their stories turned out.

This is only my second book by Ms. Gaston, but I will definitely be reading more as they come along in that old TRB mountain.

See my complete review at http://www.goodbadandunread.com
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Reputable Rake.

message 1: by Marg (new)

Marg I read a few of her books, including this one, but then fell behind and haven't read any more.

Sandy M I'm in the same boat, Marg. Don't think I've read any since this book! Sigh, just not enough hours in the day!

message 3: by Marg (new)

Marg Did you do something to this review today? It was just showing up in my feed today so I assumed you had only read it recently.

Sandy M No, this is an older review that I'm just now getting the time to post here, in and among my new reviews!

message 5: by Marg (new)

Marg Oh, okay. That makes more sense.