Lydia's Reviews > Wildefire

Wildefire by Karsten Knight

F 50x66
Nov 04, 12

Read in November, 2012

** spoiler alert ** I went into this with an open mind but I have to say it disappointed me completely. I'm still not finished yet, but I figured I'd write this anyway. The god/goddesses bit initially seemed interesting but after reading the first chapter and getting to the second it was like I'd started reading a completely different book. The main character has a brutal fight with a classmate over an ex, inadvertently gets her killed, and possibly dies by the hand of her own sister. Yet flash forward about a year, and she's making out with some new guy, who she almost maims for trying to have sex with her. But forget all that violence now everyone, its normal in this book. This same under-aged teen will now go to some shady bar and hang out with her RA and classmates. My biggest problem with this book was all the "action/suspense" scenes that seemed to be randomly thrown in for fun. Especially the almost kidnap of Selene, her BLIND classmate. I mean sure, Ash and her friends hear some screaming and end up in a fight with her captors, narrowly saving her, by the way, but its almost like a far away dream that no one worries about after. The whole way reading I couldn't help but think is anything interesting going to happen? Or do I have to wait until the end for a fraction of SOMETHING to be explained or the plot to advance. What really grated on my nerves was the pure garbage that is Ash and Colt's whole relationship. It had to be one of the most boring, unrealistic, forced things I've ever read. There seemed to be no attraction between them and it seemed more like he's her adult stalker who picked a crappy job and is somehow allowed to be on school campus to meet his jailbait friends. All of Ash's friends though seem to fall in the same category of Colt and Ash, FLAT. No real fleshing out of their characters, just people who wander around with witty one-liners once in a while. From as much as I've read it could have a much better book if it was paced better, less monotonous, and more planned out than what is now: a wannabe supernatural, boarding school novel with some gratuitous, unnecessary violence, non-existent powers, and bare bone myths strewn across for the heck of it.
2 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wildefire.