Marvin's Reviews > The Devil All the Time

The Devil All the Time by Donald Ray Pollock

Dec 26, 11

bookshelves: horror
Read from December 24 to 26, 2011

Donald Ray Pollock's The Devil All The Time is a throwback to Flannery Connor's southern gothic world with equal doses of Night of The Hunter and Natural Born Killers added for good measure. While often categorized as a horror novel, the most horrific thing about Pollock's characters is how natural they are with their odd religious rationalizations and their disdain for human life. There's nothing supernatural here and it would not surprise anyone if we read about these people in the headlines of a newspaper. Pollock has created a believable world in the vicinity of Knockemstiff, Ohio of outcasts, losers and killers. This is not a place anyone would want to live but we can believe it may actually exist. While the novels centers around hard-luck coming-of-age Darvin. It spends most of the time around the evangelical spider-handling preachers Roy and his pedophiliac brother Theodore, a serial killing couple in love, and a crooked sheriff. These stories come together at the end in a way that had me exhausted and devastated by its emotion. This debut novel may be one of the best first novels I've read in a long time. With influences coming from O'Connor, David Grubb and even Faulkner, Pollock still has something to say of his own. One of the best novels of 2011.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Devil All the Time.

12/25/2011

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou It was good it was dark, brutal and gruesome yet realistic. Has great retribution feel.

message 2: by Lou (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lou I was going to say it was one of the best reads of 2011 but due to the brutality dd not think many would agree.