Heather's Reviews > After Obsession

After Obsession by Carrie Jones

Jan 13, 2016

bookshelves: favorites
Read from July 27 to 31, 2011

First, the cover. GORGEOUS. I love it. It looks even better holding the book in my hands than it does on the screen! I can’t stop looking at it! No, I know, you don’t want a review of the cover. LOL I’m getting to the book, I promise!

After Obsession is creepy but very good. It’s almost as creepy as it is good. The creep factor is VERY high, so if you spook easily, you might want to read this in broad daylight. (Start early in the day so you can finish by night!) If you like things that go bump in the night, then read late to maximize the creep factor! I started this in the afternoon and ended up almost finishing it at about 2 a.m. (I stayed up reading waiting for my hubby to come to bed because I was too creeped out to turn off the light! LOL) I finished the last couple of chapters first thing this morning.

After Obsession is an absolutely fabulous book. Absolutely. I’m so glad I took a chance on this one, because it really paid off. What amazes me the most about it is the dual authors. I don’t know how collaborations work generally speaking, but in this case Carrie Jones wrote Aimee’s chapters and Steven E. Wedel wrote Alan’s chapters. I had NO IDEA it was done that way until I read an interview at the end of the book! You know what that means, right? It means it was written so well that it was impossible to notice that each character had a different author! How cool is that? Another amazing thing is that Wedel apparently writes a lot of horror, but some of the creepiest parts are written by Carrie (sorry, Steven)! And, to my knowledge, she’s primarily known for YA writing, not generally of the horror variety! Oh, and there’s humorous passages throughout, too. Just an amazingly written book.

Aimee and Alan are really neat, really strong main characters. They both grow a lot through the course of the novel. The only thing I didn’t like was their instant attraction – I just didn’t feel it. I don’t know how to explain it, but it just didn’t work for me. By the end, though, they’re acceptable as a couple, but I still don’t feel them as perfect together. I don’t know what it is. Maybe I was just too focused on the spooky stuff, so the romance seemed a bit out of place. I dunno. I almost docked the book a half of a star for this, but decided against it. I think the amazing joining of two writers’ amazing abilities plus the exceptional use of Native American mythology (not sure if that’s the right word) is done so well that I just don’t think it deserves to be docked. After Obsession deserves a full five stars.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read After Obsession.

07/30/2011 page 108