Nic's Reviews > All These Things I've Done

All These Things I've Done by Gabrielle Zevin

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: 2011, dystopia, review-copy, young-adult, romance-awww, read-in-2011
Read from August 08 to 12, 2011 — I own a copy

All These Things I've Done was surprisingly good. I was completely captivated by this intriguing and tension filled story.

I have been reading quite a bit of dystopia lately and I loved that this novel did not focus on matching people or the government trying to control everybody. In the year 2083 they are plenty of problems and changes but overall it feels more like a realistic future. Chocolate is illegal (EEK! no chocolate would make me crazy) together with a million other things like caffeine, paper without a permit, phones, cameras. I felt the world was very convincing as it feels similar to the stories of the 1920's when alcohol was banned and smuggled in.

This is the first book of Zevin's I have read. I found her prose sharp and alluring. Writing that draws you in immediately. It was perfectly paced story that had a cleverly constructed plot and world.

Anya is part of the Balanchine Family, one of the most well known crime syndicates in the world. Her father use to be the head of it before he was murdered. Anya mother was also killed in a hit gone wrong. Now Anya is trying to do the best she can caring for her ill grandmother, her older brother Leo, who has a learning disability and her younger sister Natty. Anya is a mature, brave and compelling character. I love that she always but her family first. I found the secondary characters to be just as well crafted and likeable as Anya especially Leo and Natty.

Win, is the son of the head of the District Attorney Department and Anya's love interest. So it is has a little bit of the star crossed lovers thing going on. The romance between Anya and Win was passionate and yet sweet at the same time.

The mafia part of the storyline was probably the highlight for me though. I found myself fascinated by this mysterious and dangerous element of the story. I would definitely like to see it play an even bigger part in the next installment.

I am so happy All These Things I've Done is going to be a trilogy. Even though it ended in a good place I felt like the story was just getting started and it has left me desperately craving more.

Overall, I found All These Things I've Done to be a clever and engaging read. Zevin definitely delivers all the right elements in this impressive novel.
21 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read All These Things I've Done.

08/08/2011 page 82
23.3% "Really liking so far....."
show 1 hidden update…

message 1: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I love the Aussie cover of this :)

Reynje Me too.. Striking! Hope this is awesome :)

message 3: by Beth (new) - added it

Beth Is it good? I am crazily looking forward to this.

message 4: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I am only just starting. So far so good but I am not happy about a future where chocolate is illegal. Are they trying to kill people ;)

Crystal I am about 2/3 through and I think I like it, I can't really tell lol. What are your thoughts??

message 6: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I really like that it isn't focusing on the government or "matching" girls and guys and is rather focusing on the mob. It is a nice change of dystopia so far.

Crystal I really liked that part too =)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko So do you feel the swoon/chemistry between the characters?

Crystal I am glad that you enjoyed it =)

message 10: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic @JJJ - I definitely felt the chemistry between the characters but Win is a good guy just not my type of swoon. I did enjoy the romance for the most part.

@Crystal - I did. I am hoping in book two the mafia plays a bigger role as it is the highlight of the book for me.

message 11: by Amber (new)

Amber Great review Nic! I think I would croak if I didn't have chocolate! It's a staple in my life!! It's like my morning coffee!...must..have..it! LOl

message 12: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic I know!!! Thankfully in this book you can still get chocolate on the illegal market :)

message 13: by Arlene (new)

Arlene No chocolate???? What do you take for PMS then????

Great review Nic. :)

message 14: by Amber (new)

Amber LOL Arlene! I must have it quite frequently (my poor hubby) I have a little almost everyday!! yep...addict!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko I am an addict as well... LOL they would have to find a padded room for me in their society... btw the best is coffee types of ice cream swirled with chocolate and nuts..... just sayin.

message 16: by Amber (new)

Amber I had the best coffee flavored ice cream while I was in Germany. It's made a lasting impression on me. Chocolate and coffee....need I say more!? ;)

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Amber that sounds delightful... I want to go to Germany.. My fav is Baskin Robbins Jamoca Almond Fudge... it is a scoop of heaven.

message 18: by Nic (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nic Arlene wrote: "No chocolate???? What do you take for PMS then????

Great review Nic. :)"

Apparently you get drunk! Beer is available at any age.

message 19: by Amber (new)

Amber Nic wrote: "Arlene wrote: "No chocolate???? What do you take for PMS then????

Great review Nic. :)"

Apparently you get drunk! Beer is available at any age."

Beer over chocolate? Must be some gooooood stuff!

JoJo - JJJ (Jo Anna) Janesko Yea well I am not feeling it.....

message 21: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Nic wrote: "Apparently you get drunk! Beer is available at any age."

Really? Okay that would make for an irritated bloated drunk... I wonder how long that would last before they decide to let them have chocolate. :P