SA's Reviews > Dead Man's Knock

Dead Man's Knock by Mike Carey

Aug 03, 11

bookshelves: 2011, graphic-novels
Read from July 27 to 28, 2011

I could seriously stare at Yuko Shimizu's cover art all day. I read this in issues, not trade, so I sincerely hope all of her beautiful work is included in the trade.

In a way, the interior doesn't do the whimsy and depth of feeling of the cover justice; Shimizu's perspective on Tom is much softer and more reflective than the semi-regularly irritating Tom in the story itself. The Harry Potter-Books of Magic-Inkheart amalgam of the premise grows more interesting the more depth given to the story.

None of the above is to say the story isn't great; I'm definitely enjoying it. It's a literary story for book nerds, which I imagine is basically everyone that uses this website! There's so much reference to classical literature, both explicitly and with sly allegories that skirt the copyrighting issue. And some of it is wickedly provocative.

On the whole the pluses overwhelm the few minuses, and my reticence to get into an ongoing title is waved for the delight I took in The Unwritten. Worth your time to read if you have any affinity for the graphic novel at all.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dead Man's Knock.