Jennifer's Reviews > Beauty Queens

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: action-adventure, ya
Read in July, 2011

There were parts of this book I absolutely adored - the premise, the footnotes, and even some of the characters and humor. However, there were also parts of the book I absolutely hated - the over-the-top satire, the busy-ness of throwing everything, and I mean everything, into the mix. I think this book would have been slightly better had Bray focused on the "beauty queens on an island" theme, and had stayed away from the "island is inhabited by rogue agents looking to start a war, stage a coup, and take over the world while beauty queens and reality show pirates fight them off".

Too many moral lessons were thrown into this one, but maybe it's because it's written for young adults (no disrespect to teens, but they sometimes have to be hit over the head with something several times before it sinks in). Or maybe I've just lost a sense of what it means to not quite get the obvious. Anyway, it can be fun in places, so I recommend with the caveat that too much of a good thing is too much of a good thing.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Beauty Queens.