Sarah's Reviews > Where Shadows Dance: A Sebastian St. Cyr Mystery

Where Shadows Dance by C.S. Harris

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: 2011, reviewed
Read in April, 2011 — I own a copy

** spoiler alert ** So first off, because this is going to turn into a cranky [redacted]fest shortly, let me state that I did like this and it's pretty solid, but it is not my favorite in the series. A dead young man ends up on a dissection table but unfortunately his death was not as natural as it was reported. St. Cyr gets pulled into a political intrigue as he tries to discover just what had happened. We've got rafts of dead bodies this time around, (which I never find to be a detractor,) but the sheer amount of political baggage and characters you have to sort through really weigh it down. I can handle politics or a cast of thousands, but not both. I felt this one lacked the clever/shocking spark of some of the other books in the series (Why Mermaids Sing is an excellent example of what I'm talking about,) and the humor, aside from the entertaining bit with the dismembered corpse, generally fell flat. I'm giving it a generous B.

Let me also express my immense relief that this did not go full bore romance on me (at least until the last chapter.) Yes, it looks like Sebastian will be sharing a lot of his screen time with Hero from here on out, but I do rather like her better than I like Kat and she does contribute to solving the mysteries in a relatively reasonable fashion. I worry, as it's become something of a trend in the last few books, that St. Cyr will constantly be saving her from *something* (kidnappers, unwed motherhood, kidnappers,(It's a trend,)) because I will be quite put out if that happens. Hero can and should be able to hold her own without having to be rescued by the big strong man every five minutes, and you know, isn't this supposed to be the Sebastien St. Cyr series? And while we're dealing with the romantic shenanigans, I'd also like to express the fervent hope that we're largely done with St. Cyr mooning over Kat. It was fun for a while, but now it's just annoying.

C'mon, series, I love you. Do Better.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where Shadows Dance.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Arianne Actually what I like most is that Hero does her own saving. I mean she got herself out of the kidnapping situation in this one and one could argue she decided to marry Sebastian on her own terms. But yeah, I'm totally over Sebastian being the most emotional character in this series. :))