Ashley Stallings's Reviews > Our Town

Our Town by Thornton Wilder

F_50x66
Jul 27, 11

We had to read this for school, it was ok. Not my favorite but it wasn't entirely awful. I probably would have enjoyed it more if we hadn't had to answer questions after each act. The book is a play split into three acts. The First act if called "Daily Life" where they provide most of the exposition and introduce you to the town, Grover's Corner, New Hampshire, and the two main families, the Gibbses and the Webbs. The second act is called "Love and Marriage" in this act two of the main characters get married. The third and final act is called "Death" in which a main character dies and tries to come back to life. Wilder makes it interesting because not because of suspense, since there is none, but because it has universal quality. Since the play use no scenery and few props it can be imagined as any town and can be reproduced anywhere. One other interesting aspect of the play is the Stage Manager is constantly talking to the audience and reminding them they are not in the play/book only watching/reading. All together, Wilder did a pretty good job but still not amazing as it is made out to be.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Our Town.