Jen (Red Hot Books)'s Reviews > Retribution

Retribution by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Aug 01, 11

bookshelves: arcs, dark-hunter, pararnormal-romance
Read from July 28 to 29, 2011, read count: 1

Any fan of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter books, can tell you that this is a series that requires you to pay attention. Sure, on the surface, each book is a romance featuring a different couple with some preternatural connection. But from the very beginning, these books have had an ongoing story playing out in the background. First it was just the battle between the Dark-Hunters and the Daimons; Greek mythology played a big part. Then we had some Atlantean lore thrown in the mix. Beyond Acheron's book, demons began to play a bigger role and by the time we got to Bad Moon Rising, we had a new subplot that Kenyon is calling the Hellchasers, featuring Thorn and his bad-boy gang. I made a real effort to try to connect to that because I thought that's where the series was going next. I was wrong.

Sundown's story is, in some ways, a throwback to the old books. It features characters we haven't seen much of in a long time. Characters like Sundown, himself... Zarek, Sin, Sasha, and Talon. But in other ways, it's dramatically different. Kenyon put almost everything she's been building on pause for this one to introduce an entirely new Pantheon of Native American gods and mythology. There are Dark Hunters and Daimons in the books, but at times I felt like it was unrecognizable from the books preceding it. Ash is just a mention (other than a "bonus scene" at the end.) Artemis & Nick each have a cameo. No Savitar. No Stryker, Jaden or Jared. It just felt disconnected.

That's not to say it was bad. It wasn't. The romance features Sundown and Abigail. It begins with the heroine trying to kill the hero because she thinks he murdered her parents. After their deaths, she was raised by Apollites. When she was grown, they gave her demon blood to make her strong enough to kill Dark Hunters. In her quest to get to Sundown, she kills someone important in the Native American pantheon, which sets the stage for an apocalypse. As the book progresses, she must overcome her misconceptions about Sundown and work with him to try to avert the disaster she has set in motion. And they fall for each other in the process. Kenyon is at her best when she does romance. And while this relationship isn't my favorite of hers, I did enjoy it.

(I could have done with a couple less pop culture references, though. I enjoyed the first few, but after about the 10th one, I was ready for her to reign them in. )

It seems Kenyon plans to continue with the Native American storyline in the next book. It will feature Dark Hunter Ren, who was a major player in this story. I don't know how I feel about that. The bonus scene at the end, featuring Ash & Tory really brought home for me how much I missed the New Orleans gang and the mythology I know. But I have no doubt I'll be there next year, to follow where Kenyon leads. It's never a dull ride. 3 1/2 stars.

*ARC Provided by St. Martin's Press

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Retribution.

07/29/2011 page 65
15.0% "It took me some brain searching to remember who Sin was. (**Ashamed**)" 2 comments
07/29/2011 page 128
29.0% "I recommend brushing up on Zarek's book --and maybe Sin & Katra's book-- before reading this."

Comments (showing 1-17)

dateUp_arrow    newest »

Spoiler Whore but you can call me Amanda I completely agree it was nothing I expected. Nothing set in the DH world except when a Daimon popped up. My question is how did Abi get adopted to an Appolite family? That confused me. I did like Zarek, Talon and Nick in the book and the bonus scene was good.

Holly Great Review Jen!! I am waiting for my copy to come this week!! I am totally with you though, I miss Ash and the old gang!! As much as I love SK, I think the big excitement stopped for me after Ash's book!! But I love her and I still buy every new release!! LOL

♡Karlyn P♡ Great review! I loved the earlier books but have been on the fence with this series since Ash's book.

message 14: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) I agree that the series changed alot after Acheron. It's like it has lost its focus and I'm just not sure where it's going now.

But Kenyon can (and often does) end up surprising me, so I'm definitely sticking with it.

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) Jen wrote: "I agree that the series changed alot after Acheron. It's like it has lost its focus and I'm just not sure where it's going now.

But Kenyon can (and often does) end up surprising me, so I'm defin..."

I read an article somewhere that said that the YA series about Nick, once it catches up to the current time in the Dark Hunter series is going to then be Nick's Dark Hunter book and that will be the last book in the series. Pretty much Nick is the end all be all of the Dark Hunter series is what I gathered from this online interview. Which I pretty much figured was the case from the latest books in the series. =) And I'm SOOOO Jealous you got a ARC of this book!!!!!!!! lol

message 12: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) P.S. I'm giving away a copy of this audiobook on the blog right now: http://redhotbooks.blogspot.com/2011/...

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) Jen wrote: "P.S. I'm giving away a copy of this audiobook on the blog right now: http://redhotbooks.blogspot.com/2011/..."

I am following you on here, I follower your twitter, but for some reason I wasn't following your blog! =/ Well, now I am lol !

message 10: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) Thank you :)

Spoiler Whore but you can call me Amanda *Smut* Monster(Born this Way) wrote: "Jen wrote: "I agree that the series changed alot after Acheron. It's like it has lost its focus and I'm just not sure where it's going now.

But Kenyon can (and often does) end up surprising me, ..."

In CoN isn't there supposed to be 10 books in the series? So next year will be #3 got 7 left, if I'm correct, that leaves us 7 more years with the DH.

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) Amanda wrote: "*Smut* Monster(Born this Way) wrote: "Jen wrote: "I agree that the series changed alot after Acheron. It's like it has lost its focus and I'm just not sure where it's going now.

But Kenyon can (..."

Yes, that is correct. She layed it all out and I read it to my brother who was asking. He started with CoN and knew I had all the Dark Hunter books and was asking about the Dark Hunters history then I googled and came up with her 'plan'. Which personally I don't mind because I'm currently deeply involved with Nick in my bookish imagination LOL

Spoiler Whore but you can call me Amanda You feel bad for him but then sometimes you wanna smack him upside the head. I hope everything goes right in the end and I'm pretty sure it will. I wish sometimes she would put out 2 CoN books per year but then that means the series will be over quickly. :(

Future Slayer Girl (aka: kitten) Amanda wrote: "You feel bad for him but then sometimes you wanna smack him upside the head. I hope everything goes right in the end and I'm pretty sure it will. I wish sometimes she would put out 2 CoN books per ..."

Exactly! LOL! I have created Nick's soul mate in my head and I really hope that Sherrilyn has the same vision as me LOL

Spoiler Whore but you can call me Amanda Do you think it's Nekodia?

message 4: by Jen (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jen (Red Hot Books) I do.

Cindi I've been enjoying CoN's more than regular DH's and certainly more than DreamHunters. But where is Nekodia when (adult) Nick screws up so bad, huh?

message 1: by Kim (new)

Kim I hated the fact that abigail's fingers were stuck together-otherwise I loved it, though my fav book so far is definately ash's.