Astrid's Reviews > Super Sad True Love Story

Super Sad True Love Story by Gary Shteyngart

Aug 01, 11

Read from July 27 to August 01, 2011

This was one of those books I couldn't put down for the life of me. I hadn't read any other books by Shteyngart, so I had no reference about his work. All I can say is that I found myself completely into the story and relating to both main characters, Lenny and Eunice.

His dystopian America is pretty much the picture of the future we've all thought of and know will eventually come, where everyone is too into their gadgets to even 'talk' to people while America has ceased to exist as we know it and been handed over to our overlords, and where the American dream has become the American nightmare for all immigrants (even when some, like Lenny's father, still root for the America they once knew).

Lenny and Eunice's May-December romance is the typical one where, as Marvin the Paranoid Android would say, it will all end in tears. He's thirty-nine, soon to be forty, she's twenty-four. He's obsessed with the thought of death, she's always shopping on her äppärät. He's lonely, she's hurt. It made for a predictable ending in my opinion, but I liked the story too much to be bothered by that.

To me, it wasn't a sad story at all, but one that felt a lot like real life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Super Sad True Love Story.

07/29/2011 page 50