Michael Johnston's Reviews > The Lincoln Lawyer

The Lincoln Lawyer by Michael Connelly

M 50x66
Jul 27, 2011

A taught, courtroom drama with a flawed anti-hero at its heart. This was an engaging page-turner. The genre and writing style remind me of Grisham, but the main character (Mickey Haller) is much more flawed than most of Grisham's characters. Connelly does a great job of creating and building suspense efficiently and then rushing to a sudden and somewhat unexpected ending.

Connelly clearly had a story to tell and one of my favorite things about the book is that he proceeded with effiency and directness to complete the tale. In some light fiction, the story lines take long detours into character analysis and down false paths slowly winding their way to a conclusion. With a good writer, I often enjoy the journey. But every once in a while you come across an author who you sense has a specific story to tell, a clear path to a conclusion and a desire to lead the reader efficiently to the end. That was this book. It is the first time that I've read Connelly so I don't know if all of his books are this way, but I enjoyed the directness of purpose he showed in telling this story.

A good story efficiently and thrilling told. I recommend this.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lincoln Lawyer.