Jaime's Reviews > The Lost

The Lost by Caridad Piñeiro

Aug 16, 11

Read from August 10 to 16, 2011

From the moment the reader is introduced to Adam Bruno, we are caught up in his world of strange energies and big mysteries - the biggest mystery of all being his past. When his real family finally tracks him down, just as he's met the woman who completes him, things start getting very interesting.

After reading Sins of the Flesh and Stronger than Sin, I have to admit that this book jolted me a bit. Gone are the genetic experiments on people to be replaced by a race of non-humans that can harness energy - including the life force of human beings. While I found myself slightly disappointed at the change of track, the new subject is more than fascinating enough to pick up my interest quickly.

I love how Pineiro went into the world of auras and energy without it sounding completely unfamiliar or weird to the reader. The reader is easily sucked into the politics and history of these non-humans without being thrown out of the actual story.

While this book features yet another Carerra sibling, don't expect them to make an appearance. This suited the book just fine, as there are a lot of new characters to introduce as it is. Bobbie Carerra is a force unto herself as a character, and even though I don't have a lot of soldier connections, I sympathized with her quickly.

However, I found myself identifying more with Adam Bruno, the nice guy who is just confused about his background. He has a need for control that I definitely understood, but it was a need for self-control rather than control over everything. I feel that made him an even more interesting character.

My one nitpick with this book was the repetition that Bobbie was sick of war and fighting. By the last few times I read some variation of 'Bobbie had little taste for being in another war', I found myself thinking: "Yes, yes, I get it. Get on with the story." But the thoughts were momentary and thus only a nitpick rather than a real problem with the story.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Lost.