Dustin Crazy little brown owl's Reviews > 77 Shadow Street

77 Shadow Street by Dean Koontz

Jan 04, 12

bookshelves: arc, worth-reading-again-and-again, group-reads, read-in-2012
Read from November 16, 2011 to January 04, 2012 — I own a copy

Holy Shit! This is a damn good book! It's been a long time since a story has intrigued me as much as 77 Shadow Street. I have recently become addicted to the TV show called American Horror Story and this story is a nice book to read while waiting for new episodes. 77 Shadow Street is about a haunted luxury apartment, formerly a Gilded Age palace, built in the 1800's. Well technically, the place ain't haunted (view spoiler) so it also reminds me of my favorite TV show, FRINGE and this is a good book to read while you're waiting for new episodes of that one too :-)

To me this seems very original, both as a haunting and as a book written by Dean Koontz. This is not your typical Koontz story and the descriptions are amazing! :-) Too bad most of yous have to wait until 12/27/11 :-) I feel so honored to have this opportunity.

While there is no dog as a main character and no clear man and woman hooking up for a happy ending, there are some characteristic Koontz elements to this story, things that he has done in other books. These include, but are not limited to:
(view spoiler)

You will get to know The Pendleton's layout very well - the book features building blueprints to help you do this. The building has four levels. The basement level has a pool, Gym, storage units, HVAC room, security room and the Superintendent's Living Quarters. The other 3 levels feature the Luxury Apartments of various sizes. There are many different residents/characters in this book. Luckily Koontz allowed a few of the places to be vacant during this story - As the story takes place in December, some residents are on vacation.

:-) THANK YOU TO MY GOODREADS FRIEND WHO SENT ME AN ADVANCED COPY OF THIS BOOK!!!!!

Update: I enjoyed the first half of the book much better than the second half. While I still really liked the book and would like to read it again, I did have to downgrade my amazing 5 star rating to a 4 star rating.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read 77 Shadow Street.

11/16/2011 page 30
11/27/2011 page 125
27.0% 2 comments
12/10/2011 page 279
60.0% 2 comments
show 9 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Nicole I have become addicted to this show as well! I caught up with it on Halloween when they showed a mini marathon. I am more than jealous of your advance copy of Shadow Street. And your review isn't helping. I am working on the new Stephen King and wish that was next in my q.

message 2: by Dustin Crazy little brown owl (last edited Nov 20, 2011 11:33AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Nicole wrote: "I am working on the new Stephen King "
I would like to read that one also. I just don't do well with long books, which King's usually are. I will have to look into it :-)

11/22/63

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Nicole wrote: "I have become addicted to this show as well! I caught up with it on Halloween when they showed a mini marathon."

Come discuss the show with us in the TV Just Watched Group: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

We are all curious of who is in the black rubber suit :-)

message 4: by Christopher (new)

Christopher Jones Damn it's that good? Suppose I shouldn't be surprised. I read the first five pages or so and they are some of the best first five pages I've ever read.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl well, I may have talked it up just a bit :-)

Maciek How are you liking this, Dustin? I've read the chapters available on Amazon and it sounds interesting. I always enjoyed haunted house tales.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl :-) IT IS AMAZING!!!!

message 8: by Blythe (new) - added it

Blythe I looooooove American Horror Story... Now I'm even more intrigued to read this!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Blythe wrote: "I looooooove American Horror Story... Now I'm even more intrigued to read this!"

American Horror Story tonight! Special Delivery!

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I hope nobody is disappointed in the book & mad at me for talking it up :-) but really if you mix American Horror Story, Fringe and all of Deans previous books (minus the superhero dog), you will have 77 Shadow Street. I'm very much like the book, but I like most of Dean Koontz's books so I may be a bit biased :-)

Dustin Crazy little brown owl I meant to say "I very much like the book" in that previous comment, but I guess I'm very much like the book also works for me :-)

message 12: by Jaime (new) - rated it 1 star

Jaime Lee I think this book might have had an early xmas release because it was in the bookstores up here on Dec 22/11 and I thought release date wasn't til Dec 27/11. Well it was a nice surprise to open on xmas day! Can't wait to start reading, gotta finish 11/22/63 first.

Jackie Got my copy, hope to start tonight.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl finally finished last night

Erica Good to know Dean Koontz redeemed himself after his last one. Starting it tonight.

Dustin Crazy little brown owl Well, I liked it quite a bit better than What The Night Knows :-) Good Luck!