Julie's Reviews > Oracle's Moon

Mar 06, 12

bookshelves: favorites, read-in-2012
Read in March, 2012

Posted at Yummy Men & Kick Ass Chicks

The first book in Thea Harrison’s Elder Races series hit stores in May of 2011 and it was Wow. Four books later, Thea proves that not only does she possess an incredible talent for writing this genre but also an imagination that will help her bring us many more fantastic tales and characters – hopefully for years to come.

Oracle’s Moon is book four in the Elder Races series. I really enjoyed how this particular installment was written. In the other books, the focus of the story is almost equal parts action-mystery and romance. In this book, the main focus is Grace and Khalil. There is a small mystery to solve but it doesn’t make itself known until we’re almost finished the book so really, the entire book is all about how Grace is coping with her new responsibilities, how Khalil is dealing with his draw to Grace and how these two characters who pretty much come from different worlds find each other and fall in love. It is a lovely book.

Grace is in her early 20’s and has recently lost her sister. Her 4 year old niece and her 9 month old nephew are now her responsibility as is the Power she has inherited from her sister. Grace is now the Oracle. Yes, THE Oracle. People come to her for guidance and to help find closure. She has an affinity with spirits which helps her in her new duties. Even though she is not fond of her new Power filled responsibility, she knows it’s part of her family’s heritage and is hoping to do her best. I loved Grace. She was in the car accident that killed her sister and her brother-in-law and is still dealing with the injuries she suffered, but she won’t let it get to her. Oh sure, she has moments where she wishes she were someplace else or someone else, and who is to blame her, but she never comes across as whiny or self-pitying. I love her wit and I loved watching her with the kids. I also loved seeing how she grew and came into her own. All in all, I loved her character. I’m assuming she’ll be in future books (if the ending is any indication) and I’m looking forward to visiting her again.

The kids…they were so frikkin’ cute! Chloe is the four year old niece and I was absolutely amazed at how Thea wrote her. Often kids in romance novels take away from the main characters and just end up being bratty or in the way, but not in this case. Chloe is charming and you won’t be able to stop yourself from loving her. She and Max really help show off Grace’s compassion and heart and they help show us a side to Khalil we may otherwise have missed.

Khalil. What to say about Khalil? When I read Dragon Bound, book one in the series, I was in awe of Dragos (the hero). It had been a while since I had read a hero that captured me so quickly and thoroughly. Well, I think Thea has done it again with Khalil because I am still giggling over some of his lines and I am still finding myself thinking about him. Khalil is a Djinn and one with the air. He has been around pretty much forever so he has a tendency of being very formal and stiff. He is aware of the advancements in the world but he isn’t really interested in humans – until he meets Grace that is. Well really, it’s meeting Chloe and Max that does him in. He feels drawn to them and wants to protect them so, even though Grace isn’t overly fond of the idea, he sticks around. Grace and Khalil rub each other the wrong way in the beginning of the book and it’s really fun to see. He is not used to being treated the way she treats him – he is a Prince after all. Watching Khalil adapt to Grace and her modern life was so SO funny. There are a few scenes and lines in this book that are unforgettable. I especially enjoyed the scene with Carling and Rune from the previous book. Hilarious!

Thea is planning on doing something I don’t think I’ve ever seen in PNR books before: the next book in the series will be about Dragos and Pia – the hero and heroine from the first book of the series. Yes, that is right, we are getting another book concerning them and I think that’s so great. I am just amazed at how Thea is managing to take the PNR genre and spin it a bit. Different sort of creatures and different directions to her books – I just love it. Lord’s Fall (dunno if I like what this title is hinting at…) will be hitting shelves November 6th 2012. Book six will feature Arya (woot!) and an as yet unknown hero. It is being kept a secret. ;)

Thea is an amazing talent with a writing style truly suited for the paranormal romance genre. Oracle’s Moon is a remarkable read filled with rich characters and a heartfelt story. You simply must check it out.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Oracle's Moon.

03/02/2012 page 102
30.0% "There hasn't been any action yet - and I mean chasing or killing or anything - but the book is still exciting so far. The kids are adorable and I am loving just sitting back and watching Grace and Khalil get to know one another. Great so far!"

message 1: by AH (new) - rated it 4 stars

AH Great review! I love this series.

Julie AH wrote: "Great review! I love this series."

It really is amazing!