Lee Ann's Reviews > Misfit

Misfit by Jon Skovron

F_50x66
Jul 27, 11

Read in July, 2011

I just finished this book this afternoon - although Jon's website says that it doesn't come out until August 1, we've had it at our B&N for over a week, so ASK FOR IT! - and really enjoyed it. The cover caught my eye first, then the premise of a teen girl, daughter of an ex-priest and a demon, who attends a Catholic high school just blew me away. Her father was a priest who truly believed but who found himself in company with priests who no longer had any curiosity, faith, or belief. He seems to have been the only one of his fellow brethren who DIDN'T succumb to the succubus Astarte and that catches and holds her interest. They fall in love, run away together, and become a demon ass-kicking duo...until she becomes pregnant with a half-breed child who could change everything just by her very existence.

Flash ahead to Jael's sixteenth birthday and she finally gets some info on what her life may become. In an effort to stay ahead of any demons who might want to return the ass-kicking that her father and mom used to deal, Jael has been forced to move with her father from place to place for years. Now she's settled in, may have found a boyfriend, and sweet 16...well, it may not be so sweet after all.

Filled with demonology, some Hebrew religion/myth, and various other forms of heebee-jeebeeism, Misfit is chock full of magic and mayhem. I'm a faithful Southern Baptist, so parts of it are...distressing, but, hey, it's fiction and a very entertaining read for teens and adults.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Misfit.