Danielle's Reviews > Thirteenth Child

Jan 15, 12

bookshelves: ya-fantasy, due-to-other
Read from January 08 to 12, 2012

Read This Review & More Like It At Ageless Pages Reviews

As a long time reader of Patricia Wrede's work, I have to say I was disappointed. There's no humor like the Enchanted Forest Chronicles or the Cecelia and Kate series, but there's also really no spirit of adventure like the Lyra books. Overall, Thirteenth Child is flat and depressing.

I had high hopes for the book. A low/alternate fantasy set not in medieval or Victorian England? Sign me up. Unfortunately, the world building was confusing and messy. All of the countries and continents have been renamed, but somehow George Washington, Ben Franklin, and Thomas Jefferson are all a)born, b)given the same names, and c)found a new country, but except this time, they're wizards?

But the most disappointing thing of all is Wrede's take on Native Americans. That is to say, there aren't any. She's quoted as saying:

"The *plan* is for it to be a "settling the frontier" book, only without Indians (because I really hate both the older Indians-as-savages viewpoint that was common in that sort of book, *and* the modern Indians-as-gentle-ecologists viewpoint that seems to be so popular lately, and this seems the best way of eliminating the problem, plus it'll let me play with all sorts of cool megafauna). . . ."

Nope, not OK. Not even a little. I also had a problem with how the African-American characters were portrayed. They fit too easily into the "Magical Negro" trope.

I did like the magic system and how fleshed out it was. Eff, once she grew up, was an interesting character with goals and skills beyond magic. I realized as soon as the (view spoiler) It was pleasing that it didn't take the characters hundreds of pages to also realize that.

Overall, I don't think I'll read the second, because the story didn't really hook me, but more importantly, because I can't support something so unthinkingly racist.
11 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Thirteenth Child.

Irene Caroline B. I really don't agree with you about the African-American point you made as all the people talked about in this book are rather relatives or magicians, or both. No one els is ever described so we don't know about other black people. Also we see the implications of there being no Native-Americans through the failure of the Lewis and Clark expedition, which in our universe succeeds.

Danielle Admittedly, it's been two years since I read the book, and I could be misremembering, but I don't think, "there's only a couple black characters, so it's ok that Eff's teacher is a total stereotype" is a great counterargument. Same with completely wiping out indigenous races. It doesn't matter that she worked their lack into the story-line, the fact that the author decided to remove them at all is horrible.

Jessie  (Ageless Pages Reviews) Danielle wrote: "Admittedly, it's been two years since I read the book, and I could be misremembering, but I don't think, "there's only a couple black characters, so it's ok that Eff's teacher is a total stereotype..."