Emma's Reviews > The Night Watch

The Night Watch by Sergei Lukyanenko

Jul 27, 2011

Even now, a year after I first read this book, I still can't get over how much I enjoyed it. 'Enjoyed' doesn't even do it true justice. Lukyanenko has created a fantastic world where good and evil have literally taken sides but have agreed to maintain a balance while letting humans sort it for themselves. The first in the series follows the Nightwatch, the team of good guys who work to make sure that all those who have aligned themselves with darkness play by the rules. Vampires and werewolves are automatically 'evil' and it is the degree that varies with some choosing not to drink blood. The book is split into three sections, each is a complete story in itself but often the action of one will feed directly off previous events. Occasionally the style of story telling jars but its important to remember that this books were originally written in Russian and that, what jars when read in English, might just be the Russian style of writing. An incredible book that should be read by anyone and everyone who enjoys fantasy, horror, or just excellent storytelling.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Watch.