Tara's Reviews > The Mists of Avalon

The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley

Aug 11, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read from July 27 to August 11, 2011

This is a retelling of Arthurian legend as seen through the eyes of the women of the Arthurian world. The story covers a massive timeframe, from Arthur's father, Uther's, coming to the throne, and the events from then on.

Whilst this covers events thought to be historically accurate, there is a strong fantasy element to the book, including a lot of events on the island of Avalon, and the use of The Sight, which is described as a branch of religious sorcery reserved for the Preistesses of Avalon.

The most interesting point of this book is that it does not depict Morgaine (Morgan Le Fay in other tellings) as a villain, merely as someone who acted in the best interests of the country as she saw fit.

This is one of those books which appeals to a certain audience, and for me it was completely captivating, even the long length of the book not putting me off. I'd reccomend this to anyone with an interest in Arthurian legend, or in mythical fantasies.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Mists of Avalon.

07/31/2011 page 157