Kerra's Reviews > Atlas Shrugged

Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand

Aug 17, 11

Read from August 13 to 17, 2011

I am having a really difficult time understanding how I feel about this book now that I have finished reading it. I only read it in the first place in order to write an essay for it (and possibly win a $10,000 university bursary that I desperately need).

At the beginning of this book I was a self proclaimed Liberal. As a Canadian, that does not necessarily have the same meaning as it does in the US. I could never understand why someone would choose to be selfish and not want to help their country. After reading "Atlas Shrugged" I can honestly say that I have begun to question the philosophy that I have been trying to live by.

As a fictional novel, "Atlas Shrugged" ranks very low on my scale. The plot is dragged out and is not very interesting to someone like myself. As a philosophical novel, it is completely mind-blowing. Even people who disagree with what Rand teaches must give it at least that much recognition.

I feel as though I cannot rate this book because I still don't know how I feel about it. Still, I would recommend it to all because, if you agree with it then it will help you understand why society should follow objectivism, and if you disagree with it then it will do as it did for me and help you to see the other side of the Republican/Democratic debate. Though I firmly believe that the society that John Galt and the other strikers achieved would be impossible today with the politicians in charge ... and my rant about the state of American politics is done.

I now understand why this book is placed on lists of "Books That Will Change Your Life". I recommend you read this book if only to be able to brag to your friends that you finished such a massive book.

Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Atlas Shrugged.