Jack's Reviews > We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families

We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Ou... by Philip Gourevitch

Mar 31, 08

This is a devastating book. It gives a few family narratives in the context of genocide and hits your soul with the sadness of friends and neighbors and families killed by friends and neighbors and family. The book does a descent job of giving some causalities to the genocide without necessarily falling into justification. It also works with the tensions of justice and reconciliation wondering how the post genocide RPA government can navigate between the lines of justice and stability, between the needs of Rwanda and the stupidity and arrogance of the west and how to create a nation from such huge destruction.

This book also works with the politics of humanitarian aid organizations specifically looking at how these organizations funded the Hutu power exiles in Zaire and how they claimed neutrality despite knowing that Hutu Power hierarchies were replicating themselves in refugee camps and buying arms with aid money. These organizations helped fund mass killings while providing a place for the genociders to hide. In many ways the description of aid work mirrors the longer narrative found in Maren's book.

This book is powerful in its sadness and the questions it asks, and there is a lot more in it than described in this lil review.
4 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read We Wish to Inform You That Tomorrow We Will Be Killed with Our Families.