MJ Nicholls's Reviews > Alice Through the Needle's Eye: A Third Adventure for Lewis Carroll's Alice

Alice Through the Needle's Eye by Gilbert Adair

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: novels, art-or-illustrated, hoots-mon
Read from July 27 to 28, 2011

This ‘third adventure’ is a witty and warm as Carroll’s own stories, perhaps even more so since the emphasis is largely on wordplay, puns and sheer delight in the magic of language. Adair doesn’t parody Carroll, merely imitate his creations in his own unique style, making the settings a tad more modern, but still firmly ensconced in the 19thC. Fresh from reading the two originals, I can safely say this holds up as brilliant and funny, paving the way for the author’s later translation of Perec’s lipogram A Void.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice Through the Needle's Eye.

Beth I read this on your recommendation and found it about as good a follow-up by another author as it gets. Still, the original Alice's have some kind of magical craziness about them that can't be copied.

message 2: by MJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

MJ Nicholls Ah, that's why I gave this five stars: I think Adair captured that magical craziness as close as anyone possibly could.