Punk's Reviews > Transformation

Transformation by Carol Berg

Jun 16, 07

bookshelves: queer, fantasy
Read in June, 2003

Fantasy. There's this guy, and he has wings, and he's been...sold into slavery? And this prince buys him? I can't really remember. But the one guy totally has wings. And lots of man-angst.

My absolute biggest complaint about this book is that after hundreds of pages of foreplay, the prince and his slave do not actually confess their manly love for each other and get married. But they very nearly do, so maybe that'll be enough for the rest of you. The slave sleeps at the foot of the prince's bed! They have very strong feelings for each other! They fight demons and then have some sort of an Ezzarian mind meld! But no sex. It's possible they don't realize they're gay. Someone should really tell them.

One star, because after all these years I can't remember what the book was about, but I still feel like it lead me on. Also, the writing was swampy with adjectives.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Transformation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new) - added it

Nancy I haven't read this yet, but your review made me laugh.

message 2: by Becca (last edited Jun 25, 2009 09:16AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Becca Lott You know, two men can be really, really good friends without being gay. But I can see your point of view.

message 3: by Punk (new) - rated it 1 star

Punk Becca wrote: "You know, two men can be really, really good friends without being gay. But I can see your point of view."

I love books about men being really good friends, and I love books about men being gay, but this book was headed straight into gay territory. If one of them had been a woman, there would have been no question of the romantic/sexual interest between them.

heardtheowl I don't think yu are reviewing the right book. There was no m/m relationship AT ALL. There was a comment made by some drunk jerk in a disparaging manner towards the prince about the slave, but no sexual relationship or overtones at all.

And there are no wings. Not in real life. He fights demons through the infected persons' dreams, and in the dreamscape he has wings.

There were also 3 books in this story so...
Read it again.

message 5: by Punk (new) - rated it 1 star

Punk I did read the book. I think we just have different ideas about what constitutes a sexual overtone.

Patrick +1 for "man-angst".

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

Terrible review. If you don't like the books that's certainly reasonable but it's obvious that you didn't pay very close attention to the story nor do you appear to have any idea how to write an appropriate review. Your name, however, is quite apt.

message 8: by Or (new) - rated it 3 stars

Or Karby You obviously have no idea what this book was about.
Oh well, have fun missing out :)

Leon Aldrich Carol Berg is one of my favorite authors. I didn't pick up on any tones (cough). I just enjoyed the story.

Mandy If you can't even remember what even really went on in the book, then you have no business rating it. You are obviously immature and can't see the book for what it really is.

message 11: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Aldrich Mandy wrote: "If you can't even remember what even really went on in the book, then you have no business rating it. You are obviously immature and can't see the book for what it really is."

The one star reviewer also rates the bible as 5 stars and believes it is non-fiction.

message 12: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin Thomas Leon wrote: "Mandy wrote: "If you can't even remember what even really went on in the book, then you have no business rating it. You are obviously immature and can't see the book for what it really is."

The on..."

Leon, Coincidentally I had just read a tie-in to your comment on Patrick Rothfuss' Blog. There's a part in here where he compares writing fantasy fiction to the "plot" of the Bible. Plus...it's a great blog entry from one of my all time favorite authors.

message 13: by Leon (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leon Aldrich Benjamin wrote: "Leon wrote: "Mandy wrote: "If you can't even remember what even really went on in the book, then you have no business rating it. You are obviously immature and can't see the book for what it really..."

I get peevish about one star reviewers who do not know wtf their talking about, which is immediately apparent after one visit to Punk's bookshelves.

Mostly when I see a one star reviews, it is done purposely in an attempt to get eyeballs back to the reviewer's profile. You then find out they are in author promoting their own book. That wasn't the case here.

The second most common is the reviewer has not read enough books in the genre to have a realistic opinion on what qualifies as good fantasy.

Carol Berg without question is one of the best fantasy authors to ever pen a story, evidenced by my love affair with Song of the Beast.

Don't let this fool's idiocy keep you from a great story teller.

p.s. Benjamin? Write more reviews!

message 14: by Karen (new)

Karen Duvall Love, love, LOVED this book! There was no man angst anywhere in it, or M/M sexual overtones at all, it's just a brilliant piece of fiction. So brilliant, in fact, that it won the Colorado Book Award for Genre Fiction. I'm just getting started on the 2nd book in the trilogy. So awesome! Carol Berg rocks!

Aaron Funny review, but maybe you should stick to pop-up books and Pizza Hut menus.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this book, but I also like your review. We don't have to agree, Punk, being this a review site and all, bad reviews are as valid as good ones.
Any of those who have a thin skin and can't tolerate different opinions should join fan sites.
Unfortunately, this thread is plagued by self-entitled assholes who think it's okay to shit on people's opinions from a great height- whoever the fuck gave them that right other than themselves.
Carol Berg deserves better fans.
Rabid fanboys that suggest you're stupid and should read pop-up books just because you didn't like this book (the wonders of GR and its ever increasingly stupidity), and other imbeciles that spit on your personal, religious beliefs because you rated the Bible 5 stars only make this book, the author and its fans look bad. Leon, I really, really hope you're not as stupid as you make yourself sound. Reread what you write and then think if you have any right to call others "fools".
Such poor ambassadors for a great series.
Dear trolls: Grow the fuck up and learn something called "impulse control". By acting like idiotic children you're not convincing ANYONE that this is a book that deserves to be read.

message 17: by Lina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lina Sacher I'd take any review that clearly states that the reviewer doesn't remember the book or what happens in the story with a grain of salt. No personal insults here, just an observation about considering the source of the review.

Emma Deplores Goodreads Censorship The more juvenile the fans, the worse the book is likely to be... Don't think I'll read this one.

Sparrowlicious Why write a review if you expected something from this book that it doesn't have, can't appreciate neither the writing nor the fantasy world nor the detailed characters the author created and can't even remember the plot? Go stand in a corner. This isn't a review, it's just a shameful one-star rating of a good book.

Tsunami Sparrowlicious wrote: "Why write a review if you expected something from this book that it doesn't have, can't appreciate neither the writing nor the fantasy world nor the detailed characters the author created and can't even remember the plot? Go stand in a corner. This isn't a review, it's just a shameful one-star rating of a good book"

A "shameful" one-star rating? Since when ratings are shameful?
It is quite lovely how you put yourself on a pedestal of higher literary merits, just because you think this was a good book doesn't mean everyone is going to feel the same way. No user is obligated to give courtesy stars, if Punk didn't like it because of...reasons, if he didn't care for it enough to even remember the plot, he is within his rights to say so.
I don't see a sign next to the book's cover that say "throw your flowers here".
But then, you'e too stupid to undertstand that this is a review site, you're too dumb to write your own review, but have plenty of imbecilic stuff to say on someone else's space.
You go stand in a corner and then write 500 times "I won't troll reviews". Maybe you'll learn something.

Jemma Gutierrez It's not gay. Seriously dude, try reading it again cause there are 2 leading lady and what they have is a deep friendship though I can see why some people who may not be able or cannot be able to comprehend it, say that.