Jacob's Reviews > George Washington

George Washington by James MacGregor Burns
Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read George Washington.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jacob Yeah, I figure it's time (past time, really) to brush up on American history. I plan to tackle larger biographies than this, of course, but since those usually take me ages to read, I thought it best to start out small, get a good basic bio of each President, and branch out from there.

Jacob If anything, this should help me reach my goal. But (William Henry) Harrison isn't in the series! They completely skipped over him. I'm so disappointed.

Jacob The most exciting 30 days in American history, probably!

Jacob In due time!

I hear James Buchanan wrote a lot of m/m romance.

message 5: by Andrew (new)

Andrew I read Joseph Ellis bio of Washington and was very disappointed. I haven't reviewed it yet but I'll be watching your review to compare. It was trendy for a while among historians to put Washington down. I disagree, he was a very great leader :)

Jacob You're talking about His Excellency: George Washington, right? I had my eye on that one, but hadn't made any plans yet. It probably wouldn't hurt to read two or three bios of each Prez, even though (at my reading pace) a project like that would take about 10-15 years.

This bio seems fairly positive. Glosses over Washington's military career, but the goal of this series is mostly to highlight each President's time in office, so that's understandable.

message 7: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Yes, I would recommend skipping that one. It's kind of lightweight, doing Washington little justice. I got the impression Ellis isn't a fan of George, starting with the title where he is emphasizing Washington's well-to-do aristocratic tendencies. Adams wanted to have him called that as prez but he rejected the idea, being somewhat of a modest man.