Nancy Oakes's Reviews > A Stone of the Heart

A Stone of the Heart by John Brady

Mar 31, 08

bookshelves: gave-away
Read in March, 2008

A Stone of the Heart is the first Inspector Matt Minogue novel, set in Dublin. Minogue was a victim in a bombing where a man he was supposed to be protecting was killed. He has been on invalid status with the police and is somewhat prone to melancholy and a bit of introspection. His worries spill over into his life and work, where he feels that he is not as valuable to the police force as he once was. And in turn, he makes some of his co-workers and superiors a bit edgy.

The action begins when Minogue is sent to Trinity College in Dublin to investigate the death of a student named Jarlath Walsh. Everyone Minogue questioned except Walsh's girlfriend Agnes tells Minogue that Walsh is involved with drugs, but Minogue isn't so sure that that's really the case. Walsh's killing takes on new meaning when Minogue becomes involved in the search for a cop killer, and he finds that Walsh's seemingly random death is related.

To be honest, the first part of this book is so incredibly slow that I wrestled with putting it aside and picking up something else. I stuck with it to the end, and it's only about 3/4 of the way through when the action really picks up. Most of the book deals with setting up Minogue's character, because this is the first in a series. Hopefully in the books following this one, we'll all know that Minogue is a bit of a neurotic, a victim of ptsd and we can move on to a faster-moving plot.

Overall, not too bad, but beware...it is slow. If you're a mystery reader like myself, you may find it a bit tame but it's still an okay read. Recommended for those who like mysteries set in Ireland or mysteries in general.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Stone of the Heart.