Ed's Reviews > The Righteous Mind: Why Good People are Divided by Politics and Religion

The Righteous Mind by Jonathan Haidt

Jul 27, 11

Read in July, 2011

Well this is a head's up to what I suspect will be my favorite book of 2011, though it is not published until January 2012. Those who read Jonathan Haidt's book The Happiness Hypothesis will I think find this book even more extraordinary. As I read it in manuscript, I am not really at liberty to give away too much content, but it goes well beyond the model on Jon's Moral Foundations website, where he constructed a research based model of the different moral universes of liberals, conservatives and more recently libertarians. What this book is about is a project for the neuroscience foundations of morality and I find his research utterly convincing, very generative and unfortunately likely to mean I will have to re-write portions of my own book on conflict.:) And I do think it calls for a major re-think of political strategies across the political spectrum.

Footnote: I have not met Jon, but as our research interests, his in morale psychology, and mine in conflict are parallel paths in many ways, with many links and connections, I have corresponded with him for some years now.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Righteous Mind.