Cal's Reviews > Forward the Foundation

Forward the Foundation by Isaac Asimov

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: robot-ai-fiction, fiction, sci-fi

Well, I'm trying to read Foundation in the order Asimov suggests, so that makes this the second one I've read. It was decent, readable.. I was really disappointed that Daneel was only in the first fourth though ;_; still, the rest was easy to get through and interesting.. I know it sets up for his original trilogy which gets such strong reviews that I'm really curious what it is like. It was weird being jerked around in time so often, ten years here, ten years there, but I can see that it was necessary. It gives you a pretty good feeling of how Hari's life changed and how so much of it was completely out of his control... even though he is this empire renowned genius mathematician, he, just like all of us, is subject to the powers that be, life and death, losing the ones we love, watching our dreams flounder and grow in an endless cycle.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forward the Foundation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Justin (new) - added it

Justin Dloski Well I hope you now have read the "real" Foundation stories, and know how amazing they are. And really, Foundation should be read in this order. Foundation, Foundation and Empire, Second Foundation, Foundations Edge, Foundation and Earth, Prelude to Foundation, Forward the Foundation. I don't care what Asimov says, because if you don't start with "Foundation" you will not know how amazing the series is, and once you finish the original trilogy you will get more out of Prelude and Forward.

message 2: by Cal (new) - rated it 4 stars

Cal I have now read Foundation and Foundation and Empire, and they don't do anything for me. They aren't character driven enough for my tastes. I definitely prefer these two prequels for that reason, but on the whole I think I'll have to stick to the robot edge of the fandom.