MelissaB's Reviews > In Bed with a Highlander

In Bed with a Highlander by Maya Banks

1320046
Sep 02, 11

bookshelves: scottish-historical-romance, historical-romance, kindle, 2011-reads, medieval-romance, favorite-historical-romance
Recommended for: fans of good Highlander romances
Read from August 30 to September 01, 2011

*** 4 1/2 stars ***

In Bed with a Highlander was a great surprise! I really enjoyed reading this sweet and sexy Highland romance.

Mairin has spent years at a nunnery because she is the illegitimate daughter of the former King of Scotland and has a generous dowry that would tempt men to force her into marriage. She is abducted from the nunnery by bad men loyal to Duncan Cameron, who tries to get her to marry him then beats her when she refuses to say her vows. Along the trip to Cameron lands, her kidnappers find a young boy who she takes under her wing. She escapes the Cameron holding along with young Crispin McCabe, who she helped to save from Cameron. The boy's family finds them, as they were out looking for the missing Crispin, and bring them to McCabe land where Mairin meets the intimidating Laird, Ewan McCabe who is the father of Crispin.

Ewan McCabe is intrigued by the beautiful Mairin, who refuses to give her name or any information. But Ewan is a smart stubborn man and eventually figures out who she is. He proposes that she marry him because he is able to keep her safe from men like Cameron and can offer her a home and family. In return his clan will get her badly needed dowry. So their marriage starts out as a convenience but these two quickly start having deeper feelings for each other. Ewan enjoys his new wife's happy personality, though her impulsiveness gives him some heartburn. Mairin loves finally having a home, while Ewan's protective but caring actions help her fall for him.

This was a really enjoyable romance! The tone really reminded me of Julie Garwood's The Secret, Ransom and Honor's Splendour, so if you are a fan of those I highly recommend it. I like the fact that there were no big misunderstandings or hurtful behavior, just a good love story about two people who appreciate each other. The story was really good, it really held my attention. I love that the heroine was a nice person, but she also would stand up for herself. Ewan was a good alpha hero who learned that it was okay to show softer feeling for his beloved wife. I loved seeing the progression of their feelings as they slowly fell for each other. The ending was really sweet, but I wanted an epilogue! The younger two McCabe brothers will be having their own stories soon and I am excited for them! For those afraid of this book because it's by Maya Banks, I would say it's nothing like her romantica books. The steam level is normal for mass market paperback - but still nice. I like her writing much better in this (and the KGI books) than her romantica, so give it a shot even if you don't like those.

Highly recommended if you enjoy a good medieval Scottish romance!!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read In Bed with a Highlander.

08/30/2011 page 1
0.0% "Haven't read a good Highlander book in awhile, hope it's a good one!" 2 comments

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) This book looks good. I'm curious to see how you like it.

MelissaB I am enjoying it so far. It reminds me of Garwood, especially of Ransom so far. Not exactly but in tone. I will let you know!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I'll keep a look out for your review:)

MountainKat I see you liked it! Good to hear!

message 5: by Ally72 (last edited Sep 01, 2011 08:09PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Ally72 It looks like you loved this one, Melissa...Yay! Fantastic review!

Kristen (Peddler of Smut) I'm glad you gave this book a high rating. I really wanted to read it and now I know I'll enjoy it:)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... Ok, I'm convinced!

Great review, as always, Melissa!

Jill <>
LOL! You read my mind Melissa. I was afraid. Very afraid.

MelissaB UniquelyMoi *~*Dhestiny*~* wrote: "Ok, I'm convinced!

Great review, as always, Melissa!"

Thanks UM!

message 10: by MelissaB (last edited Sep 02, 2011 04:20AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MelissaB Jill wrote: ">
LOL! You read my mind Melissa. I was afraid. Very afraid.
I think I've read one of her erotica and it's just not for me. Thanks and great review."

Jill,

This writing style is totally different than her erotica, which I am not a fan of either. But I really liked this one, her writing style and story worked for me in this one.

message 11: by Dina (new) - rated it 4 stars

Dina "The tone really reminded me of Julie Garwood's The Secret, Ransom and Honor's Splendour, so if you are a fan of those I highly recommend it."

I am sold!!! Gosh, is this going to be the first MB gook I like? Oh, the pressure!

MelissaB Dina wrote: ""The tone really reminded me of Julie Garwood's The Secret, Ransom and Honor's Splendour, so if you are a fan of those I highly recommend it."

I am sold!!! Gosh, is this going to be the first MB g..."

Oh my! Well it's nothing like her other stuff which I didn't like either. Hope you like it :)

UniquelyMoi ... So I Can Shine... What a bummer! It was $4.99 on amazon the other day, now it's $7.99.

That's what I get for procrastinating, but she's so hit and miss with me that I wanted to wait for other opinions first.

message 14: by Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (last edited Sep 03, 2011 04:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) Thanks for the informative review, Melissa. I was avoiding this because I was afraid it would be too steamy for me.

MelissaB Lady Danielle "The Book Huntress" wrote: "Thanks for the informative review, Melissa. I was avoiding this because I am afraid it would be too steamy for me."

It is not too steamy for you Danielle, just a normal mass market steam level.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) I added after your review, so thanks!

KatLynne Thanks for a great review Melissa. I love Garwood's medieval's and will have to try this one.

MelissaB KatLynne wrote: "Thanks for a great review Melissa. I love Garwood's medieval's and will have to try this one."

Thanks! Hope you like it.

Vashti Great review Melissa, this is on my buy list this weekend.

MelissaB Thanks Vashti!

message 21: by AgentScully (new)

AgentScully Sounds good Melissa!

message 22: by Ragus (new)

Ragus VERY GOOD review, Melissa! Although, Ms Banks' erotica novels are great, I was hoping this venture into the historical genre would show another side to her writing. I'm satisfied I did not make a mistake in picking this one up ... can't wait to read it. Thank you!! :o))

MelissaB Thanks Agent Scully!

Ragus - hope you like it!

*Book-Lover* Great review Melissa!!!!! I agree maya banks writing is superb!

MelissaB *Book-Lover* wrote: "Great review Melissa!!!!! I agree maya banks writing is superb!"

Thanks!