Becky's Reviews > Wolves of the Calla

Wolves of the Calla by Stephen King

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: fantasy

Another very entertaining and gripping book in the Dark Tower series. Roland and his ka-tet arrive in the town of Calla Bryn Sturgis weeks before masked raiders called Wolves are due to raid the town and abduct one child from each set of the town’s twins (twins being the norm in that part of the world). As is their duty as gunslingers, our heroes offer the town aid and succour in what is essentially a classic western. But there are several interesting sub-plots going on at the same time. Father Callahan (from King’s Salem’s Lot), is living in Calla Bryn Sturgis! And he has Black Thirteen hidden in his church! Callahan relates his back-story to our heroes, and it starts to become apparent that his destiny, and that of our heroes, is inexorably linked. In fact he ends up becoming part of the ka-tet. Several trips are made to New York (via the Doorway Cave) to take steps to protect the rose that grows in the vacant lot. Meanwhile, our ka-tet are keeping secrets from one another, Susannah’s battle with the pregnant Mia continues, Jake makes a friend, and Roland seems to be developing arthritis. Brilliantly imaginative with a well constructed plot; I really enjoyed this book.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolves of the Calla.