L. Chambers-Wright's Reviews > Still Waters

Still Waters by Tami Hoag

Jul 27, 11

bookshelves: typical, thriller

** spoiler alert ** Still Waters was not a good read. I had more questions about the book when I finished it, than when I started reading it.

The heroine, Elizabeth, is a no-nonsense gal (think "rootin' tootin' gunslinger") who has a history in the rodeo. While there's certainly nothing wrong with that, she's a former rodeo queen and every man who sees her wants her. She's flat-broke after a terrible divorce, which left her penniless, but she somehow has enough to be establishing a newspaper. Even in the middle-of-nowhere, it still takes quite an investment to establish a newspaper.

Her friend is not as attractive, and as a result, is in an abusive relationship. Her on-again/off-again is the stereotypical redneck.

The hero, the sheriff, is downright despicable in his treatment of her and she eagerly welcomes him with open arms at the first opprotunity. The one who treats her with the most respect and decency turns out to be "strange" and "unusual" because he's Amish and, ironically, he's also the killer.

I was not impressed. The story could've been excellent had it simply been more developed and less predictable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Still Waters.