K.Z. Snow's Reviews > The Snow Garden

Sep 25, 2011

it was ok
Read from September 21 to 25, 2011

** spoiler alert ** 2.35

A big let-down, sad to say. There was definitely the skeleton of a good story here, even after a faltering start, but it was buried beneath something like a fat suit -- unnecessary and increasingly unbelievable layers of melodramatic villains, subplots, and twists. The result was a messy glob of pure silliness. And derivative silliness, to boot. (I mean, come on. An inane sex-cult? A mad sculptor-on-steroids who does a poor imitation of Vincent Price in The House of Wax? The list goes on: secrets and deceptions, murders, near-murders, a suicide, nefarious plots, fires and explosions, !shocking! character connections, blah blah blah . . . blech.)

I liked the MC, Randall, except for his inexplicable attachment to the clingy, hypocritical Kathryn. (Ugh. Why was she even there?) I hoped for but never got more development of Jesse, who had the potential for being an intriguing foil and ultimate partner for Randall. But, as usual, the author opted for piling on all kinds of sensational crap instead of subtly shaping characters and creating nuanced, tension-filled situations.

It's really a shame Rice keeps resorting to cheap thrills. He does have talent.

I think I'm done with him.

* * *

I just started the book, but this phrase did trip me up a bit: "...[her] breasts had exploded at fifteen..."

I like figurative language as much as the next writer, but some word choices are more unfortunate than others. Had a little trouble sleeping after that one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Snow Garden.

04/13 marked as: read