♥Xeni♥'s Reviews > A Discovery of Witches

A Discovery of Witches by Deborah Harkness

Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: book-of-the-month, ebook, witch, vampire, demon, paranormal, fiction, unfinished
Read from July 27, 2011 to February 13, 2012

I realize that I will never be able to finish this book. In all honesty, I don't see why I would want to force myself through the rest of it.

This book is essentially two: the first part is fun, interesting, full of somewhat new, mostly boring characters that have a lot of potential. The plot is being set up to be interesting and possibly enjoyable.

And then everything goes wrong: this turns into another Twilight. The writing was never wonderful, and it quickly plummets, along with the plot, characters and anything else that may have been worthwhile. I don't want another shitty romance proclaiming that it's different because it has a few witches, archaeological aspects or something else. It's still cliche and trite. It's still mundane and annoying and makes me want to pull my hair out.

On top of that, the dialogue was annoying and grating.

This book made me even more disappointed because it had such a great premise that quickly plummeted into an abyss of annoyance and icky-feeling. So not my cup of tea.
1 like · likeflag

07/27/2011
6.0% "hmm... witches, deamons and vampires? pretty good so far, if that's worth anything right now."
07/27/2011
19.0% "Wow... I feel like I've been reading for hours and yet only got to 19.5%. There is so much going on in this book. I really can't wait to find out what will happen next. Oh, and there BETTER be a happily-ever-after ending to this book!"
07/28/2011
32.0% "Okay, this book would be so much better without the mandatory/typical romance plot. Seriously. Getting much too Twilight-esque here!"
07/28/2011 page 36
6.0% "This has gotten to be pretty annoying. I was liking the book, but now it's all "us against them" and lovey dovey and secrets and not sharing and running away. I'm just angry and I don't want to keep reading."
08/03/2011
40.0% "Really not enjoying this book anymore. It was a lot more fun at the beginning."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melki (new)

Melki Oh dear! I had high hopes for this one.

♥Xeni♥ I really enjoyed it at the beginning... and then it got so terrible, it disappointed me a lot. I'd prefer that a book just continues to be horrible rather than starting off amazing.

On the flip side, my big sister liked this book enough that she recommended it to me about a month ago. So maybe it's still something for you?