Katy's Reviews > Cry of the Fallen

Dec 22, 2011

liked it
bookshelves: ebook
Read on December 22, 2011 — I own a copy , read count: 1

Lauren Bruni is a homicide detective in the Verde Valley area of Arizona. Recently there has been a spate of particularly vicious murders - gruesome, bloody, and designed to cause maximum pain - with no idea as to how the victims relate to one another. To make matters worse, strange creatures are being sighted - a wolf man, a mysterious cowboy whose face is impossible to see, a strange, wizened creature creeping around the graveyard ... Who is the killer? What is the connection? And can Lauren stop it?

I wanted to love this book - it had everything that makes a good book in my mind: a serial killer, paranormal elements, supernatural creatures, a feisty female detective. Unfortunately, there were multiple problems with it. For starters, the editing was just terrible - misused words, bad grammar, sentence fragments, random or missing commas, extra or missing words. Characters were thrown at the reader with little to no explanation; some were randomly developed in ways that really didn't add to the story, others weren't developed at all. The plot itself was jumpy and jarring - a situation would be unfolding, and then suddenly the reader would be somewhere else with someone else with no explanation. When I was slightly half-way through I learned that this book is a sequel of sorts to another called "Death at the North Pole," so I'm hoping that after reading that one some of my character-based questions will be answered, but since this book is noted as being "Book 1" of a series (The Black Chronicles), I would think it would be important to provide more character background in order to make sure the reader is on the same page as the author. I really like every other book I've read by Andre, so I'm hoping this was just a fluke - I have several more of his books I'll be reading (mostly shorts and novellas) so we'll see.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Cry of the Fallen.