Ubalstecha's Reviews > Ten Things I Hate About Me

Ten Things I Hate About Me by Randa Abdel-Fattah

Jul 27, 11

Nice story about Jamilah, a Lebanese muslim girl who is afraid to reveal her heritage to her Australian classmates for fear of being bullied. Instead she anglicises her name, dies her hair and wears contacts. Jamilah does evrything she can to keep family and school life seperate. She also finds herself sitting on the sidelines as a bystander as the class jerk bullies fellow students and makes racist comments. By saying nothing, she can fit in. Not one of the cool kids, but neither is she ostracized.

But when her arabic folk band is booked for a school dance, her world is about to colapse around her and her secret will be revealed. Watching her navigate her way through all of the problems, all while stumbling and making mistakes like most teenagers (including me) was refreshing and reaffirming. No answer is easy. There are consequences for every choice. Finally, the fact that she rejects the romance makes this not your typical teenager book.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Things I Hate About Me.