Miss_Nelson's Reviews > Ten Little Elvi

Ten Little Elvi by Laura J. Henson

Jul 27, 2011

bookshelves: mentor-text-childrens-book
Read in July, 2011

I bought this book at the Graceland gift shop as a souvenir, but as I read it I thought it could be a great mentor text for a project I've done before with 7th graders.

My original project was to help students research a person of their choice, and use the information to write a narrative poem, instead of a boring old report. Students definitely need practice with researching skills, which is one area of support the language arts team offers while the social studies teachers lead kids through the CBA.

Students could practice research and present their findings following the structure of Ten Little Elvi. Basically, the book counts down until there are no Elvi (love how they pluralize Elvis!) left, and each scene provides a tid-bit of information about Elvis's life and music. For example, "Three little Elvi wearing blue suede shoes...One was stepped on and then there were two."

I'm thinking there might be a way to incorporate technology into this project. If students created a page like the one above, for example, they could add a link to "blue suede shoes" and provide some background information about when Elvis recorded the song, where he performed it, what he said about it, how he came up with the idea, and/or how many records sold. Students could even complete this project in pairs and then eventually have a display day where students could rotate through their interactive presentations.

Another option would be to have students create an actual picture book with either footnotes or interactive flaps providing the deeper background into their facts. Even another option could be to create the actual or virtual children's book & have students use that more as a springboard for a presentation. The deeper knowledge can be added through oral presentation. This final option may have the most real-world application.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Ten Little Elvi.

08/11/2016 marked as: read