Tabitha Olson's Reviews > Wolfsbane

Wolfsbane by Andrea Cremer

Dec 15, 11

bookshelves: recent-reviews
Read from October 05 to 26, 2011

I enjoyed Nightshade, for the most part. I had some issues with the characters, but the plot and the pacing were exciting enough to keep me interested and hope the characters would sort themselves out in the next book, Wolfsbane.

Well, not so much. My biggest issue with Calla in Nightshade was that she didn’t act like an alpha. She said she was, a lot, but her actions never matched those statements. The same thing happens in Wolfsbane, except she says it a whole lot more. It got tiresome after the first few chapters. Shay was the same forceful, arrogant, and closed-minded person that he was in Nightshade, amped up a few notches. I absolutely hated him by the end of Wolfsbane because he embodies everything a boyfriend should NOT be, especially at the end of the book. I was really bummed about that.

I was even more disappointed in Ren, though. I liked him in Nightshade. He was an obvious alpha, but he was also a good leader—he listened to Calla and respected her wishes. In Wolfsbane, he’s completely different. Even considering the pressure he was under from those around him, it still doesn’t explain his complete change in actions.

Most of all, there just wasn’t enough story to carry an entire book. The first 100 pages is all talking and posturing, and we still don’t learn much. When they finally go to rescue Calla’s pack, they make a stupid mistake—which is fine, because people make mistakes all the time. But they make the same kind of mistake when they go to Eden, and I just couldn’t overlook that. Plus, the 'big reveal' at the end didn’t feel so big because I’d figured it out in the first 50 pages or so. The plot in Wolfsbane wasn’t nearly as well thought out as Nightshade, which is really disappointing.

So many people are gushing about this book, and that’s great. I’m glad they’ve enjoyed it. I considered not finishing this book (which is HUGE for me), but wanted to know what happened to Ren so I kept reading. But it’s not at all my cup of tea, and I won’t be reading the next book.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Wolfsbane.

Angela *rubs hands together at prospect of discussing this with you*

Tabitha Olson LOL!! Considering the fabulous conversation we had about Nightshade, so am I! :)

Angela Oh, this one will elicit even more commentary, I am sure of it. He he he.

Angela Does this mean you're done with it? I hope to actually write my review of this sometime this weekend.

Tabitha Olson Yep, and I just sent you a full dump. :)

Angela A-ha, you did! I can't respond now b/c I'm working on an already-overdue mega project, but I will respond later. :)

Tabitha Olson I am really looking forward to it!! Good luck with your project!

Angela Thanks! Will chat soon.

Ashelynn whoa. are you going to write a review, Tabitha? i'm just curious why you rated it one star. i know not a lot of people liked Wolfsbane.

Tabitha Olson I don't know yet. This book bothered me on so many levels that it totally would *not* come out diplomatic right now. :) After I've had some time to reflect on it, I might tackle it. :)

Ashelynn haha, okay!

Angela I am shielding my eyes from this review until I get around to writing my own, which I will try to bump up in the backlogged queue. Then I can respond to my long-overdue response to your awesome braindump re: this book! :)

message 13: by Sherrie (new)

Sherrie Petersen Love your honest reviews :)

Tabitha Olson Angela: LOL! I have a feeling our reviews are going to be similar. :)

Sherrie: Thank you!! This review was particularly difficult to write, so I really appreciate it. :)