Kristal Cooper's Reviews > Travel as a Political Act

Travel as a Political Act by Rick Steves

Jul 27, 11

Rick Steves is no Samantha Brown… thank your chosen God! I’ve been a fan of his PBS series for 10+ years, appreciating his practical and useful information, as well as his intelligence and obvious enthusiasm for travel. His show and books helped me plan my own Travels in Europe and he never steered me wrong.

Anyone who’s lucky enough to travel – particularly to a foreign country – will tell you that travel changes you. The chance to see different cultures functioning the same way we do, but entirely differently, is invaluable in so many ways. In this book, Rick highlights some of the major issues/situations we can learn from out there.

While reading, I was often reminded of a wine tasting. When you take a sip of his words, some may make you pucker but, more often, you’ll raise your eyebrows in surprise and then slowly nod your head. You’ll swish a concept around in your mouth and think about how it affects you… then you’ll probably go back and re-visit the same thought with another sip.

The world is just a plane ride away, but if you don’t have a ticket, this book will certainly give you food (or drink) for thought until you can get one!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Travel as a Political Act.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Luke A. Bunker Nice analogies and review!