Kristal Cooper's Reviews > Soul Catcher

Soul Catcher by Michael C. White

Nov 18, 11

Read from July 27 to November 18, 2011

This book is set just before the Civil War and is about a guy who is contracted out to track and return runaway slaves. The idea has a lot of potential, but the author blew it, in my opinion.

The first 115 pages were miserable -- populated by six characters that I didn't like at all and had a hard time caring about. I skimmed some of it, then layed it down for nine months until I decided to grit my teeth and finish it off before the year was out. Luckily, in chapter 7, there's finally a little bit of character development for Cain and it turns into a decent story (more like I expected) for about 300 pages. It ends okay (though predictably) until the epilogue which reads like one of many alternate endings and this one was the one he through in as a complete joke.

I gave it a few stars because some of it was good reading, but I can't ignore the fact that I never felt much interest for the main character. Also, I don't think the author considers women his target audience, since there's great description of guns and violence, but he glosses over the sex scenes completely. And finally, I don't like being aware of obvious themes that would have been pointed out by my high school English teacher -- in this case it's how Rosetta:Eberly as Hermes:Cain. *ugh* She's even described with horsey terms!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Soul Catcher.