Hester's Reviews > Crackpot: The Obsessions of

Crackpot by John Waters

Aug 15, 11

bookshelves: gave-me-the-ickies, for-realzies, thats-so-trashy, read-in-2011, over-the-rainbow
Read from August 12 to 15, 2011

I'll forever love John Waters for the following reasons

1. He has subscriptions to Jet and Women's Wear Weekly magazines.
2. He hates MCI (remember them?)
3. He attended a matinee of the Carebears movie, it was for research.
4. I now know that Baltimore once had an angry lesbian stripper who went by the name Zorro, and he tells a delightful story about a stripper vomiting off the side of the stage.
4. He's a fan of Gloria Spencer a 625lb gospel singer! How come I wasn't informed of this person's existence until now?!?
5. A wonderfully sweet piece about The Buddy Deane Show, the local dance show in Baltimore that inspired Hairspray.
6. It's always good to know that Ryan O'Neal is a violent asshole who knocked his son's two front teeth out. I live for this kind of useless information!
7. His love letter to the National Enquirer during its glory days, yes the mid 80's was a grand time for tabloid reading. Did I ever mention how much I miss the 80's?
8. I didn't know that Pia Zadora and Jermaine Jackson did a duet together!
9. I now have hours ahead of me Googling movies and criminals I just now read of.
10. He reads James M. Cain and reminded I need to read Peyton Place
11. His essays made me laugh, I haven't laughed like that in a while.
12. Did I mention the lesbian stripper named Zorro and the 625lb gospel singer Gloria Spencer? Yeah I know I did but I have to mention them again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Crackpot.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Syl (new) - rated it 5 stars

Syl Hahahahaha! I could just carbon copy your 12 reasons. Delightful! :)

Hester Syl wrote: "Hahahahaha! I could just carbon copy your 12 reasons. Delightful! :)"

Why, thank you.