Stephanie's Reviews > Schooled

Schooled by Anisha Lakhani

F 50x66
Jul 28, 11

Read in July, 2011

Overall, Schooled was an enjoyable book. The plotline was entertaining and had me wanting more. But, the ending was a little too abrupt. And I increasing became more and more irritated with the message I was receiving from the book and the stereotypes the book plays into. For instance, Anna's students don't like her until she starts dressing and looking like the Upper East Side moms, which seems to play into the whole people-from-money-think-they-are-better-than-others-and-stick-to-their-own-kind stereotype. Also, there seemed to be bar mitzvah or a mention of a bar mitzvah every other chapter, which makes you wonder if all the students in this private school are Jewish and how that factors into the all-Jews-are-rich stereotype. At one point, it became pretty excessive and made me want to stop reading the book, but I stuck to it and it became better. It can also be fairly discouraging if you wish to be a teacher, but it's an interesting perspective for non-teachers. An overall good book and easy read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Schooled.