Michael's Reviews > A Feast for Crows

A Feast for Crows by George R.R. Martin

Jul 27, 11

Read in July, 2011

Warning: minor spoilers ahead.

There were too many great moments to mention, so I’ll just single out one that has continued to linger in my thoughts long after finishing the book. Arya remains to be one of my favorite characters on a list that admittedly, is very lengthy, but I place her near the top. At the close of one of her chapters, Arya is alone and wandering the streets of Braavos at night. Eventually, she ends up at the docks and it begins to rain. She chants the names of the people she wishes to kill, a daily routine that both comforts her and gives her life purpose.

Arya turned her face up to let the raindrops wash her cheeks, so happy she could dance. “Valar Morghulis,” she said, “valar morghulis, valar morghulis”.

It’s a bittersweet moment. For a character that has experienced so little joy in her young life, it’s nice to see she’s still capable of it. It’s also heartbreaking that the one thing that gives her joy is the notion that “all men must die”. For what else does her future hold but more murder and death?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Feast for Crows.