Christiana's Reviews > Lola and the Boy Next Door

Lola and the Boy Next Door by Stephanie Perkins

Jul 28, 11

bookshelves: teen-fic, high-school, nerdy-book-love
Read on July 27, 2011

I usually don't say things like "Perkins is back and better than ever!" or "There's a little bit of Lola in every teen girl!" or "I love Cricket even more than I love St. Clair...THERE, I SAID IT". Okay, I would OBVS say that. But I want to say the first two things this time too because they have never been more true for me and for a book.

Perkins is back and better than ever. There's a little bit of Lola in every teen girl. I like that the ones who love Lola best both embrace her individuality in style as well as encourage her to dress in jeans and a t-shirt and sans wig if she wants to that day. Perkins does a good job of not villainizing anyone, although characters are broken and in the wrong sometimes. I liked St. Clair but I love Cricket tons more than I loved St. Clair...THERE, I SAID IT.

If you loved Anna and the French Kiss, read this. If you liked Anna and the French Kiss, read this. If you are or know a quirky girl who is full of life, read this and give it to friends. If you like girl realistic fiction, read this. Read this, is what I'm saying.

This book is rated H for Huggable.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lola and the Boy Next Door.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Kathy Okay, you guys are driving me crazy with these prepubs that I can't get my hands on! Guess I have to keep lists, sigh. Miss you.

Christiana Miss you, Kathy!

Wendy I'm with Kathy- I went to reserve this and it's not even in our catalog yet. Rats!

Becky Christiana, I'm so glad you posted this b/c you tipped the scale on me reading Anna and the French Kiss, which I loved. Also, I looked up the author and now I have a serious friend crush.

Christiana Becky, I'm so glad! I think you'll really like this one. It's one of my favorites I'm read this year for sure!!

message 6: by Mandy (new)

Mandy CC, I hated Anna and the French Kiss. Will I like this one or should I pass?

Christiana Well, if you HATED Anna, I'm not sure Lola will sway you. I felt pretty good about Anna, but I loved Lola.

message 8: by Julie (new) - added it

Julie Question: Should i read Anna and the French Kiss First?

Christiana J-I don't think you have to read Anna first, but some of the characters from Anna make a cameo, so it might be the tiniest bit of a spoiler. I liked Lola a lot more though (even though I did like Anna a lot, just not as much).