Amy (amyb2332)'s Reviews > Forever Fifteen

Forever Fifteen by Kimberly Steele

Jul 16, 08

bookshelves: audiobook, horror, books-i-did-not-care-for, 2008-audiobooks, fantasy
Read in May, 2008

After seeing someone on the Nest say they were reading this book, I discovered that this book is a free podcast on Itunes! So I downloaded it and I'm now listening to it on my nightly walk with the dog!

I really tried to like this book but I just didn't like it. My first problem is the narrating. Now this is a podiobook so I tried not to compare the narration too much to a normal audiobook but I couldn't help it! The narration was just not good in my opinion. The narrators voices for other characters were just awful and even with the main character the narrating was broken up and weird words were emphasized. You know how in old black and white horror movie previews the voice will go, "It (pause) is (pause) the green monster (or whatever)." And the words are all drawn out and emphasized to show how scary the monster is. The narrator did this when she said, "and Lucy's favorite (pause) modern invention (pause) is the (really long pause) microwave (said incredibly dramatically)." Eww. Just awful.

Next, I had a hard time not comparing this to the Twilight series and the main character in this was just not very likeable or bright compared to the Twilight books. So Lucy turns to a vampire at 15 in the year 1340. In modern times she bounces around in foster homes all while complaining how awful most of them are. I couldn't figure out for the life of my why she didn't just pretend to be 18 and then she wouldn't have to live in foster homes. It just didn't make sense to me. I mean sure, she will never look like she is 35 but that doesn't mean she has to pretend to be 15 forever. Also you would think after being 700 years old that she would have learned to blend in better. Yet in Lucy constantly talks like someone 90 years old. I kept wanting to yell at her, "You are 15 call it a bra not a brassiere for god sakes!

Also, there were several very graphic sex scenes in the book that were just honestly gross. The book jumped around a lot and I had a hard time figuring what time Lucy was supposed to be in. Finally, the ending was just not good.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Forever Fifteen.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (last edited Jul 15, 2008 09:12PM) (new)

Kimberly Steele Hi Amy, thanks for the review! Sorry that you didn't enjoy my narration. It was my first experience both writing a novel and recording an audiobook, sadly, you were able to discern this fact. I will strive to overcome the technical difficulties in my upcoming works. As for the writing, it is what it is--FF is never exactly going to win the Pushcart Prize!

Amy (amyb2332) I'm really surprised and happy to hear from an author on here! I feel like I should apologize for my review, I do feel terrible and hope that maybe I should have given more constructive criticism.

I do feel like I should tell you that there were parts of the book I really did enjoy. I liked the ending up until the flash forward and I was upset that the ending seemed so left open. Though I suppose that is fitting for a sequel! I also really liked many of the scenes from Lucy's past and I liked nearly all the scenes with her friend Michelle.

I do also really appreciate you putting the book on itunes for free so that I could listen to it in the first place!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Steele No need to apologize--I appreciate your insights, they are well-timed. I am writing my next novel & recording it as a free audiobook, and much to the chagrin of my audience, it's NOT the Forever Fifteen sequel but something new entirely. I'll try to update this thread once the new novel, Dream of Flight, hits iTunes. Your post is enlightening: makes me realize that the aspects of the FF book I feel the most insecure about were not the ones that you criticized! I don't mind criticism at all, so please don't feel bad about it. I just wish everyone would take time to chime in on what they thought of FF.

Jeffrey On the flip side of the above review. I loved the narration. The narration was one of the best things about this book. I didn't get the podiobook at first because of the cover. I thought it was going to be another on of those fluffy vampire novels for teens. Now I understand and love the cover. The characters seemed like real teenagers. I was surprised to find the author is my age. I liked the history flashbacks.

The only thing I hated was. . . on Foreverfifteen.com your donation button is broken. I want to be a FF fan and can't.

worlds smallest violin>

David " I couldn't figure out for the life of my why she didn't just pretend to be 18 and then she wouldn't have to live in foster home"

My answer to this is that Lucy was traumatically torn from her family at a young age, so she may be (albeit subconsciously) trying to replace them.

message 6: by Ally (last edited Nov 28, 2011 02:59PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ally In regards to Lucy's speech, I noticed that when she's with her friends and family; her speech is very old fashion. Yet at the end when she talks to Sebastianus, she speaks normally. In fact, this seems to happen whenever she's upset or frustrated. you'd think it would be the other way around.